Krka was founded in the 14th century and it is dedicated to St.
Archangel Michael. In 1345, this monastery was mentioned for the first time
as the endowment of princess Jelena Subic, the wife of prince of Skradin and
Bribir. Under the main monastery church, there are old Roman catacombs,
which represent significant evidence that St. Apostle Paul preached
Christianity in this region.
The church of monastery Krka was built in several stages. The oldest part of
the church is priprata – the entrance part.
Monastery Krka was devastated and burned during the wars between Turks and
After these wars, the monastery was renewed and the altar in a present-day
form was built in the eight decade of the 18th century. The
iconostasis was made of composite icons. Main icons are works of an unknown
Venetio-Cretian artist; and the upper part of the iconostasis consists of
icons brought from Russia during the 17th century.
Monastery Krka has always been spiritual and educational centre of
Dalmatian Diocese. Throughout its long history, this monastery gave many
archibishops and sheperds of the Serbian Orthodox Church. In 1615, Theodore,
Dabrobosnian Metropolitan, founded the first organized theological school in
the Serbian Church.
Except the main church, there is a small chapel of St, Sava, which was built
by Dalmatian Bishop Stefan Knežević.
In 1890, Bishop Stefan died and he was buried in this chapel.
Besides that, monastery Krka has a very rich treasury and two libraries.
Also, in 2001 the reconstructed Semminary Holy Three Hierarchs, again
started with its work.